[syslinux] pxelinux feature request

Pierre Neyron pierre.neyron at imag.fr
Tue Jan 4 03:47:09 PST 2005

Hi,

We would also be very interested in such a configuration file include
feature.

What we are doing here actually, is adding a PXE environement in a
already existing one, adding a dynamic configuration feature (see my
previous mails about that: patches for tftpd to generate files on the fly).
As we have a very restricted access to the tftp server and to the files
it stores, we use an extra one on which we have a full control, in order
to be able to generate configuration files on the fly (e.g. when
pxelinux requests it) using scripts.
We cannot change the dhcp next-server option as we may chain some other
PXE bootstraps that use the original tftp server to retrieve their files
(kernel, aso...).

As of now, we use a modified version of pxelinux with the tftp server ip
address being hard coded instead of using the one provided via the dhcp
option. It fits our needs, but it's definitively not a nice hack.
So, it will be very nice it is possible to specify in a master
configuration file located on the original tftp server, to actually
fetch a configuration from another tftp server... In fact, the perfect
mechanism would be to have pxelinux restart its full configuration file
lookup (by MAC, then IP, then default...) but using the new tftp server
address instead of the one provided via dhcp. Furthermore, this way,
there seems to be no need to have several configuration files opened at
the same time, am I right ?

Pierre