[syslinux] NOCONSOLE feature request not obsoleted by BIOS upgrade

Jim Cromie jcromie at divsol.com
Tue Jan 4 11:22:09 PST 2005

Over on the soekris-tech list, Jim Cromie wrote:

[snip]

> Im curious, did you update your bios, and if so, did it fix the
> screen-spew ?

[snip]

> I requested a few features, which he's considering.
> one of which is NOCONSOLE, which was intended to
> be a work-around for the escape-sequences put in by the
> video emulation.
>
> If the bios has fixed that problem, I should scratch that
> off the request-list b4 he goes and implements it.
>
> But I dont have my box at hand to try upgrading myself currently.

Jordan anwered:

I've upgraded mine to 1.26. The pxelinux stuff does look "better" (you
can read some stuff) but it is still unusable.

NOCONSOLE would be awesome.  I currently use a version of pxelinux.0
that Dave Johnson posted a URL to.  It does not output to the console,
only serial.

Jordan

.. that link follows, its a patch against 2.06  ...

I hacked up a pxelinux that works around this by only outputing to the
serial port a while back:

http://centerclick.org/net4801/pxelinux/