[syslinux] syslinux vs grub

Jacob S stormspotter at 6Texans.net
Sat Jan 8 16:38:57 PST 2005

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:04:42 -0800
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> I probably should be more blunt: the above is basically asking to turn
> syslinux into grub with a somewhat cleaner internal structure.  I must
> say I question the genuine value, but if that's what people want to
> do, then syslinux is the wrong product and I should shut the project
> down.

<blunt>
If I wanted Grub features, I would use Grub. I like Syslinux better, so
I use Syslinux.
</blunt>

I've heard enough raving from those that like Grub that I would forget
about the bloat if I wanted to use it. After all, most of what I've seen
in it that I consider bloat is the features that make other users rave.
(Not being a C/C++ programmer, I've not examined Grub's code.) I don't
need something that complicated and I don't need the software to hold my
hand.

So I use Syslinux. Syslinux works the way I want it to. I am very happy
with Syslinux. :-)

Just my $0.02.

Jacob