[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.05 released

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Mon Jan 10 15:12:40 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 02:52:10PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Paolo Salvan wrote:
> >
> >Hi!
> >
> >Some lines of your change-log have captured my attention:
> >

> >>       * The initrd= option now supports multiple filenames separated
> >>         by commas.  This is mostly useful for initramfs, which can
> >>         be composed of multiple separate cpio or cpio.gz archives.
> >>         (Note: all files except the last one are zero-padded to a 4K
> >>         page boundary.  This should not affect initramfs.)
> >

> >...Is this feature something related with the feature I asked the
> >2004.10.27 in
> >the "[syslinux] Passing one more file after initrd to the kernel..." mail?
> >
> >To save your time, this is the text of that mail I sent:
> >

> It could be used that way, but you would have to wrap the file in a cpio
> archive.

I take this change to ask a couple of questions about the
initrd/initramfs boot process:

Does the gunzip code in the kernel uncompresses multiple chunks,
compressed independently, into a single block?

Does the kernel, in initramfs case, unpack multiple cpio archives
appended one to the other?

I think the answer is positive for both questions, but I wanted an
authoritative one. :)

> The real way to put this together is under development.
>
> Note, you can't concatenate initrd, only initramfs.

Do you mean that it has no effect on the mounted filesystem, but the block
device gets the full data, or that it's a syslinux limitation?

Regards,
Luciano Rocha