[syslinux]problem loading a dos bss

James Hogarth james.hogarth at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 18:10:25 PST 2005

I have a 2gig usb drive FAT formatted with 32K cluster
I used syslinux 3.06 to create a boot sector so that I could boot Damn
Small Linux, INSERT and memtest86.
They are all working fine.

I have a DOS bootable CD and have been following this guy's instructions...
http://fuzzymunchkin.dyndns.org/tdot/usbkeyfob/index.php3

I used a WinXP floppy formatted with the 'make ms-dos bootdisc' option
checked and used copybs to obtain a dos.bss file from it - I have also
tried the dos.bss file on his website.

If I enter dos at the boot: prompt a '.' appears a line below and then
below that the SYSLINUX copyright information reappears and the boot:
prompt again.

Any ideas?

The syslinux.cfg file is:

DEFAULT dsl
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=uk initrd=minirt24.gz
BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
TIMEOUT 300

PROMPT 1
LABEL insert
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=uk initrd=miniroot.gz
BOOT_IMAGE=insert
LABEL dos
KERNEL dos.bss
APPEND -