[syslinux] syslinux build fails with 2.6 linux headers

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jan 11 22:48:22 PST 2005

Hendrik Groeneveld wrote:

> I tried defining __KERNEL__ (a bad idea, I know) which eliminated some of
> the errors. This seemed to leave another incomplete definition that
> required inclusion of an arch dependent header. And yes, I would consider
> this to be a kernel bug, but realistically it needs to be fixed in
> syslinux (and the kernel where necessary). The world is not going to stay
> with 2.4 just for the sake of syslinux. I would have hoped that the kernel
> maintainers would have made a greater effort to maintain compatibility
> since syslinux is a required utility for building floppy images in 2.6 but
> this does not seem to be the case :-(

Don't use the kernel headers, or better, submit a patch to the 2.6
kernel maintainers.  2.6 isn't going to stand still, either.

However, "the world" isn't using the kernel headers raw out of the
kernel, which is deprecated.  Most people use the linux-kernel-headers
adapted for glibc:

http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/