[syslinux] Slow performance booting USB device with 3.xx version

Andrea Mazzoleni amadvance at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 07:56:54 PST 2005

With the new 3.01 and 3.07 version I found a big slowdown booting from
USB devices.

On my PC it takes more than 2 minutes to load the kernel and the
initrd filesystem. Compared with the previous behaviour of syslinux
2.13 with takes only 10 seconds or little more.

The BIOS boots in FDD mode (DriveNumber variable is 0). I've also
tried to disable the EDD support in the source. But the boot process
takes always a long time.

I've also a PC which boots in HDD mode (DriveNumber has the highest
bit set) and it is also slower, approx 20 seconds compared to the
previous 10.

I don't understand where this slowdown come from. Which changed
exactly from the 2.13 version ? Peter, do you have some hints for my
tests ?

I'm very interested in the new FAT32 support, but I don't like to have
regression from the previous version.

--
Andrea Mazzoleni
935A 2D3C 5C70 BCD6 CB0C  ED89 7C19 4321 6340 3F6D