[syslinux] Can I use pxelinux to boot a cdrom image or isolinux from pxe?

Boris Lenzinger boris.lenzinger at castify.net
Tue Jun 14 08:22:49 PDT 2005

Hi Tim,

here is a mail from the mailing list that should answer to your question
(answer is from hpa as you can see):

Subject: CDROM Booting
> Hello,
> Hope someone can help.
>
> I am currently using memdisk to boot DOS and other floppy images over
the network and it works great. The question I have is can we do the
same thing with an CD ISO image? Is there a software or a configuration
that would permit me to load the ISO image in RAM over the network and
start the install of the CD?

This is an FAQ.

The answer is no, because ALL operating systems that boot from CD images
want to talk to the hardware directly.

    -hpa

Tim Harvey wrote:

> [...]

> >raises a couple of questions:
>
> >1) Is there some way I can use pxelinux/memdisk to boot a generic
> bootable
>
> ISO
>
> >image?
>
> >2) Is there some way that I can 'chain load' the syslinux on this ISO
> image
> >from my pxelinux?
>
> >Thanks for any advise,
>
> Qeustions like these, have been posted before on this mailinglist.
> I can't recall that I have seen a "Here is a How To" message,
> so it doesn't make sense to redirect to the archive of this mailinglist.
>

> >I figured this might have been an FAQ but I couldn't find anything by
> googling
> >it... perhaps I didn't know what to search for.  I also don't really
> understand
> >how to 'search the archive' as its broken into 1 archive per month
> and has no
> >search that I can find - http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/
>
> Back to the questions. I wonder why you want to solve it at the "client
> side". The previous version of RIP provided a nice "server side" setup.
> What about taking the usefull parts from the RIP ISO and putting them
> on the server where you add the PXELINUX stuff?
>

> >In this specific case, I should be able to do what your suggesting
> but in the
> >more general case I'm curious if there is a way to take any old
> bootable CDRom
> >and use it via PXE.  There are more and more bootable CDRom's out
> there for
> >things such as rescue disks and live linux distros vs boot floppies.
>
> >In this specific case, I'm not exactly sure how to take the images on
> the RIP
> >12.4 ISO and use them for PXELINUX.  Here is what the tree looks like:
> >  boot/
> >    grub/
> >       iso9660_stage1_5
> >       menu.lst
> >       menu.lst.serial
> >       stage1
> >       stage2
> >    initrd.gz
> >    kernel
> >    loadlin.exe
> >    memtest.bin
> >    rootfs.tgz
> >    syslinux.com
> >    syslinux.bin
>
> >When I noticed the 'syslinux.com' and 'syslinux.bin' I wondered if
> there was
> >simply a way to 'chain' the bootloader something like this (I tried, and
> >couldn't get it to work)
>
> >label rip12.4
> >   kernel rip/syslinux.bin
>
> >Or, noticing the files: kernel, initrd.gz, rootfs.tgz I figured I
> could do
> >something like:
>
> >label rip12.4
> >   kernel rip/kernel
> >   append initrd=rip/initrd.gz root=rip/rootfs.tgz
>
> >but that didn't work either, most likely because I don't have the correct

Unsubscribe or set options at: