[syslinux] Shutdown from PXELinux

Florin Izvoranu florin at cpi.ro
Mon May 16 00:19:44 PDT 2005

Hi
Please excuse my english ...
Does somebody have a .c32 , .cbt or .exe program to shutdown an
 ACPI  and/or APM BIOS PC from PXELinux or DOS ?
Or could be shutdown added as an option to PXELinux ?

School environment, remote administration.
On night time the electrical power is turned off in labs and PC loose
WakeOnLan(WOL)  and AlertStandardFormat(ASF) capabilities.
In the morning when the power is on again PC have no  WOL  and ASF
capabilities.

Now I do something like this:
It is available from BIOS  the option to start computer on AC power restore .
PXELinux loads a kernel image for APM or another one for ACPI computers which
shutdown the PC s , this action restores WOL  and ASF capabilities.
I have 15 labs with 10 to 22 PC , one switch(cheap,noname) per lab connects
all PC's to a central switch where tftpd and dhcp server is also connected.
Frequently 1 -5 random PCs from  labs fail to complete the above sequence of
actions at diferrent steps and requires on site presence.
All PC's load without a hitch pxelinux.0 and pxelinux.cfg/ipaddress
so I want to try a shorter action path, with shortest being an option to
shutdown , added to PXELinux ,  or little longer with a .c32 or .cbt  program
or memdisc + dos + .exe program.

Best regards.
Florin