[syslinux] Is it possible to prompt for/pass input from console to PXElinux/sysllinux kernel?

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Tue Nov 1 15:18:50 PST 2005

Synopsis:

I need to duplicate functionality of the SuSE 9.x boot CD, via pxelinux.
  I haven't been able to get one feature of the boot CD to work, passing
the 'hostname=' parameter to the kernel before booting it.

In order to have new deployments register their hostname at the time
they request a DHCP address (during initial install) I need to pass this
from the local console, appending to the "append" line from the
pxelinux.cfg file for the host.

The installer CD manages to do this, but I can find no way with pxelinux
or syslinux directly to mirror this ability... i.e. the normal behaviour
of choosing your label automatically boots it.  Does anyone know of any
way to do this?  Any idea if this feature is limited to isolinux, and I
can't accomplish this with a network-boot install?

Thanks,

/eli