[syslinux] File size and graphics from com32 modules (unrelated)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Sep 25 13:42:10 PDT 2005

Rémi Lefèvre wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm working on a com32 module in which I need to get some file size.
> The only way I found was to include the "lib/sys/file.h" header file and get the
> i.length field from the file_info structure (once a file descriptor is open).
>
> I understand that this structure is internal to the Com32 file I/O
> implementation and should
> not be accessed from com32 modules. So is there a cleaner way to get
> this information ?
> (perhaps is a subset of stat planned ?)

A subset of stat is planned; I actually implemented it at some point but
I haven't had a chance to make a prerelease yet.

>    What are the possibilities for using graphics inside a com32 module ?
> I mean, how could I load some graphic background and/or bitmaps
> (beside the DISPLAY option) from a com32 module ?

At this point, there isn't any code behind it.  The general idea is to
use VESA BIOS calls to invoke VESA graphics mode and then use that.  I
have some code for this, but nothing that's in usable pieces yet.

> Related to this, what is the aim of including libpng in com32 libs ?
> Is there a way (or planned way) to use png graphics on the display ?

See above.

> klibc and the libs are really great additions to syslinux, thanks for that.

Thanks :)  I needed the cheer-up today :)