[syslinux] PXEboot large image creation

Serge de Souza serge at cs.curtin.edu.au
Fri Jan 27 00:40:01 PST 2006

Cristi Mitrana wrote:
> On 1/27/06, Serge de Souza <serge at cs.curtin.edu.au> wrote:
>>Does someone have a working disk image (that loads DOS and is bigger
>>than 1.44) they are willing to share ?
>>

>  Sure, here it is:  http://dp.solvit.ro/bigDos.imz
>  It's a gzipped image of a DOS image (accessible with dosemu also).
>  The line in the configu file for this is:
>
>   kernel ::/memdisk
>    append initrd=bigDos.imz c=320 h=2 s=32 harddisk

That worked, but I don't seem to be able to mount it after uncompressing it:

# mount -o loop bigDos.img /tmp/1
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

# mount -t vfat -o lopp bigDos.img /tmp/1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so
# dmesg
FAT: invalid media value (0x00)
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev loop0.

How can I edit the image? I need to do so in order to get networking up
and running

> You could also take a look at:
> http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~gmurali/gui/downloads.html
> maybe it helps.

Hmm looks like they have a nice script there, will give that a try.

Thanks
Serge