[syslinux] Boot into operating system after PXE boot

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Fri Jun 30 04:24:02 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 10:09:51AM +0000, Bart Coninckx enlightened us:
> I would like to check with you all if the following is possible:
>
> I'd like to combine G4L (Ghost clone) with PXE (been done before) but in
> such a way that an option in LDAP is checked after booting with PXE. If it's
> set, a certain program is executed with certain parameters (G4L), if not,
> the PC should continue to boot in it's installed operating system.
>
> Is the latter possible? If so, how do I go about to continue booting after
> the PXE soft has loaded? I've seen it in a commercial product (Zenworks
> Imaging by Novell), so it should be possible ...

I currently accomplish this for Kickstarting by running a cron job on the
tftp server that reads a database. If the "reinstall" flag is set, it
creates the appropriate pxe config file to boot kickstart from the network
with the right parameters. When the install is done, the flag is returned to
"installed" and the cron job removes the machine-specific config file. The
default config file does a localboot.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak