[syslinux] Unknown keyword in config file

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Mar 1 17:45:00 PST 2006

Fulko Hew wrote:
7>
> I'm trying to boot Fedora Core 5 Test 3 from either CD or DVD,
> (which uses ISOLINUX), and I get the error messages:
>
> Unknown keyword in config file
> Could not find kernel image: linux
> boot:
>

> There are at least two other people in the world with the same
> problem.  Unfortunately, all of the rest of the Fedora test
> community doesn't seem to have a problem with it, so its not
> a high profile issue with the Fedora development team.

  [...]

> So what can be wrong that only affects the three of us,
> and not anyone else?
>
> Comments and hypothesis are welcome.
>
> (Note: I have no way of building a new ISO/media to test,
> unless someone can give a quick (and easy) howto for
> the Fedora Core dataset.)

Most likely the common denominator is that your particular BIOS misreads
the isolinux.cfg file, getting garbage; thus it falls back to the
default configuration (which is equivalent to an isolinux.cfg containing
the single line "default linux".)

The difference versus the older version of Fedora probably has more to
do with the new disc having things in slightly different locations on
the disc versus the older one.

Note that 3.11 is the current version, not 3.10.

The most helpful thing you could do is to find out if you and the other
users have anything in particular in common (motherboard, BIOS, CD-ROM
player, SCSI card if applicable, etc.) with your hardware.