[syslinux] Re: Install Red Hat AS 4 from iLO on a HP DL380?

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Fri Mar 10 19:05:09 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:
>>

>>> I'm trying to install Red Hat Advanced Server AS 4 on a HP Proliant
>>> DL380G4.
>>> Unlike e.g. the DL360, the DL380 does not have the option to set the
>>> OS in the
>>> BIOS.
>>> As soon as the installation starts, i.e. even before you get to the
>>> point
>>> where you can enter "boot" and whatever boot options you want to use,
>>> the
>>> server switches to graphics mode, meaning I cannot access it from
>>> basic iLO.
>>> Is there a way to overcome this?
>>

>> Red Hat is using the 'display' directive in the syslinux config-file
>> (isolinux/isolinux.cfg) and provides a splash screen that enables
>> graphics mode (when this is supported).
>>
>> See also: http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php
>>
>> I see no other option to disable this splash-screen, other than somehow
>> let the BIOS advertise only text-mode is supported.
>>
>> If this is not possible, you might want to investigate into PXE
>> booting, or providing your own (custom) ISO image or floppy image
>> without this splash-screen.
>>
>> I think it is a valid question to raise why text-mode is not the
>> default, as we have the same problem :) (and most remote consoles
>> either are text-based or require a stupid and slow java-interface)
>>
>> I included the syslinux mailinglist to confirm there is no other way
>> to disable the graphical boot, other than changing the syslinux config.
>>

> There is, actually; if you press Ctrl-X then syslinux/pxelinux/isolinux
> will drop out of graphics mode and go to text mode.  This assumes basic
> iLO won't squelsh the keyboard in graphics mode, which it very well
> might; the whole basic vs advanced iLO is such a completely stupid
> arrangement.
>
> However, if it doesn't, you can let the screen go dead, wait a few
> seconds, and press Ctrl-X.  That should bring the machine back to text
> mode.
>
>     -hpa

Thanks, Dag, for the reference to the syslinux list, and to hpa for the
suggested Ctrl-X workaround.  Unfortunately, the Ctrl-X doesn't work,
not even when the screen goes dead.

I totally agree with you that the advanced iLO is absurd, but I guess it
makes HP a few extra bucks: $350 per M$ system should be noticeable.
However, it shouldn't be noticeable to Red Hat.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Kind regards,

Herta

--
Herta Van den Eynde              -=- Toledo system management
K.U. Leuven - Ludit              -=- phone: +32 (0)16 322 166

"Life on Earth may be expensive,
  but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."