[syslinux] Re: Install Red Hat AS 4 from iLO on a HP DL380?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Mar 13 08:15:31 PST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Herta Van den Eynde wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Dag, for the reference to the syslinux list, and to hpa for the
> > suggested Ctrl-X workaround.  Unfortunately, the Ctrl-X doesn't work, not
> > even when the screen goes dead.
> >
> > I totally agree with you that the advanced iLO is absurd, but I guess it
> > makes HP a few extra bucks: $350 per M$ system should be noticeable.
> > However, it shouldn't be noticeable to Red Hat.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?
>
> Sorry, no workaround for this is currently available; you'd have to make a
> custom CD, removing the display file.

Herta, please add this to Red Hat's bugzilla and use your official support
channel to stress the importance. Also send the bugzilla id to this thread
so others can add their voice to it as well. I know that IBM's RSA
technology suffers from the same problem (java gui, slow and
contra-productive), so it is certainly not specific to one vendor.

Also both the HP and IBM remote console solutions have problems with
keyboard translations where the bootprompt is by default US and the only
support configuration is when both the keyboard on the local system MUST
HAVE the same settings as the keyboard in the bootloader. This is even
worse when using ICA, where all three keyboard-settings have to be
identical (making me spend silly amounts of time to change keyboard
settings).

Kind regards,