[syslinux] PXELinux sporadic hangs searching for config file

Joe Mroczek mr.joem at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 14:35:00 PST 2006

On 1/29/06, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Joe Mroczek wrote:
> > I should have included what we get on our serial console, which at
> > least appears to match up to a VGA console when it is attached. This
> > obviously does not match up with the TFTP server log from earlier,
> > however it should still illustrate what we are seeing:
> >
> > - pxelinux is 2.04  2003-04-16 H.Peter Anvin
> > - UNDI data segment at: 00089930
> >   UNDI data  segment size : B440
> >   UNDI code segment at : 00084d70
> >   UNDI Code segment  size: 2e00
> > - pxe entry point found(we hope) at 94d7:0106
> >     Trying to load:  pxelinux.cfg/80000afe
> >     Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/80000af
> >     Trying  to load: pxelinux.cfg/80000a
> >     Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/80000
> >     Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/8000
> >
> > There is nothing more on either console after this. We have let the
> > system sit for over 2 days with no further reporting to the console.
> > When checking the TFTP log we see the NAK for the last file printed to
> > the screen, a sniffer attached to a snoop port on an intermediary
> > swtich shows the NAK and it appears well formatted.
> >

> OK, you have me flabbergasted.  No idea what the issue is.
>
>         -hpa

FYI... Root cause has been found. UDPRead function in PXE was not
exiting. This was caused by the serial console handler improperly
disabling an interrupt the PXE agent was using for a timer function.
The net result was that PXELinux hung waiting for a response that
would never come.

> P.S. Please don't take things off-list.

Sorry, hit the wrong button in Gmail.

~joe