[syslinux] Syslinux keyboard mappings

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Mar 23 02:45:22 PST 2006

Hi,

I finally want to end the fights we have had in the past with keyboard
mappings. I already curse the person who is responsible for this keyboard
mess (and even more the persons who could have create a 'detect keyboard'
kind of functionality in modern PCs :))

But the general problem is this, BIOSes are US qwerty, Belgium uses
be-latin1 (azerty with lots of custom keys). And to complicate the matter,
we're often logged on to Citrix and into some sort of remote java gui
console.

All of these complicate the issue (or at least do not improve it).

Now, somehow I hoped the solution would be fairly simple. Take the us.map,
take the be-latin1.map, create a be_latin.ktl out of it by running:

	/usr/lib/syslinux/keytab-lilo.pl us.map be-latin1.map >be_latin1.ktl

Beware that I had to modify the default path inside the perl script and
unzip the maps that usually are zipped on my system.

Also beware that the file be-latin1.ktl will end up being be_latin1.ktl.

Now after doing this, it doesn't work. The mappings seem not to have
been changed and I even wonder whether the file is being used or it isn't
supposed to work like this. I just refer to the file like:

	kbdmap be_latin1.ktl

and it is located in /isolinux/be_latin1.ktl

Now, is this supposed to work like this or is there some other mapping
causing havoc (like citrix ot the java gui) and is there any chance we can
debug if the file is being read ?

We talked to HP about this and they're official answer to this is that
they only support a setup where the keyboard is consistently configured
over the complete line. But this for us is impossible in the sense that
before booting the operating system (or setup utility) the keyboard by
default is us (so we have to configure the local system and remote citrix
and java gui to us as well) and once we have started the anaconda process
I have to remap all those instance to be-latin1 (belgian).

This seems pretty silly and makes it impossible to use the commandline
(because some numbers eg 2, 7 and necessary characters eg :, = are NOT
mapped at all)

I'd like to have a conclusive answer so we can fix this for syslinux (and
have belgian keyboard configured everywhere). I'd like to integrate this
with footprint to create custom bootdiscs that fix this for non-us
keyboard users :)

Thanks in advance,