[syslinux] Problem loading images larger than 512M

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 08:22:11 PST 2006

On 3/22/06, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 16:01 +0000, Bean wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a machine with 1.5G memory. When I try to boot a image of size 700M, it
> > fails. In fact, it seems like the image is loading downward from 512M.
>
> Er, you're trying to *boot* something that's >512M?
>
> What is it you're actually trying to accomplish?
>
> --
>   Peter

Since the OP didn't respond, if I may be so bold as to suggest that
load up a harddrive image into memory before any OS, meaning that
unlike with a normal ramdrive method, you should have some very high
compatibility (I'm thinking of things like bootable windows without
relying on complex methods such as BartPE and with support for writing
major changes while it's running without having to burn a new disc
unless you want said changes to be permanent.

I suppose in theory you could even do things like load up CD-ROM
images of, say, an OS installer or something like that via network or
a dedicated partition or something like that.  Linux installers can
just use the kernel usually so are ok, but, Windows installers are a
real pain sometimes and such a thing may have it's advantages.
Especially in a mass installation kind of deal.  Of course, a large
image through even a fast network could take a while, so that might be
more for debugging or something, but, it's just an idea of one
theoretical way it could have advantages.  I'm thinking networked
setups are where you'd need it most since if you have such access to
the system as to use a local disc you might just as well use a CD/DVD,
but, in some network situations a harddrive image might actually just
be a life-saver.