[syslinux] [help] Use syslinux but can not boot from USB key

Bo Xie xiebopublic at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 04:19:54 PDT 2007

I try two ways to use syslinux for USB key (2GB USB key), and one
approach can boot from machine, another approach can not. Could you
review the following steps and tell me why #2 can not boot? Thanks
very much!

approach #1
steps:
mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n USB /dev/sdb -I (pay attention, it uses "-I" here)
syslinux /dev/sdb (pay attention, it is "sdb", not "sdb1" here)
mount usb key and copy linux kernel, initrd.gz to usb key
umount usb key and boot from machine
result:  boot OK

approach #2
fdisk /dev/sdb
type d x where x is the partition number (you can simply type d if you
only have one partition), then:
•	n to create a new partition
•	p to make it primary
•	1 so it is the first primary partition
•	Accept the default  to start from the first cylinder
•	Accept the default to end at the last cylinder
•	a to toggle the partition active for boot
•	1 to choose the 1 partition
•	t to change the partition type
•	e to set it to FAT16
•	Finally, type w to write the change to your embedded key
mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n diagnostics  /dev/sdb1  (pay attention, it is
"sdb1", not "sdb" here)
syslinux /dev/sdb1 (pay attention, it is "sdb1", not "sdb" here)
mount usb key and copy linux kernel, initrd.gz to usb key
umount usb key and boot from machine
result: boot Failed