[syslinux] SYSLINUX-3.52-pre5: XP BOOTSEC.BIN Bug

Duke McAllister mr-roboto at linuxmail.org
Sat Aug 11 21:55:05 PDT 2007

I just encountered my only bug w/ the ISOLINUX+VESAMENU combination
from 3.52-pre5.  Updated a *working* CD project w/ the new
ISOLINUX+VESAMENU combo just last week.  Booting my preferred Linux
distro (Slax-6) from my custom CDs work perfectly, however when I
updated a CD project that includes BartPE/WinPE, BartPE fails to
boot w/ 'CDBoot can not boot CD: error 4" msg.  For the record, the
stanza that fails:

####
LABEL bartpe
MENU DEFAULT
MENU LABEL ^BartPE/WinPE
TEXT HELP
Boot the ultimate power tool for repairing Windows 2K/XP/2K3/Vista....
ENDTEXT
KERNEL /BOOTSECT.BIN
APPEND -
####

I realized almost immediately what was wrong and rolled back to the
modules from 3.50 and the boot error went away.  In anticipation of
pos follow-up questions:  did not forget the -boot-info-table
option;  problem isn't media-related as I was testing under VMWare;
generating ISOs w/ UltraISO (reliably for *many* months now.)

This isn't an urgent issue for me, as I updated just for the
helluvit.  Just trying to be a good citizen, as you asked others to
check out MENU HSHIFT/MARGIN/etc.  Wouldn't have hurt to include a
couple lines about the behavior of these cmds, just to cut down on
some of the trial-and-error cycles, specifically the ones that position
in relative terms (like HSHIFT+VSHIFT.)  Can kinda see the utility of
HSHIFT, but VSHIFT seems that it could really make a mess of things.
Thanx.  Later....

=
Cost Per Lead Media Buying
TV and radio media buying focused on minimizing your cost per lead.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=5484439f8cc678118c06030be37effde

=
Build A First Aid Kit
Learn The Types Of Kits And What Should Go In Them.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=273075f3769056c575f1f9ccb65d4ada