[syslinux] chain.c32 question

Tomas M tomas at slax.org
Wed Aug 29 02:34:12 PDT 2007

I'd like to use chain.c32 to allow the computer boot from HARDDISK if
needed.

If I use isolinux and boot from CD, the following works OK:
chain.c32 hd0

But if I boot from USB Flash Key, it sometimes work and sometimes it
doesn't and I have to use
chain.c32 hd1
(it seems BIOS assigns hd0 to the flash key sometimes, so the real
harddisk is hd1 in that case).

Is there any way to tell chain.c32 to SKIP the device chain.c32 is
running from? So it will skip hd0 here and proceed the next harddisk. Or
is there any other solution, except the one to create two menu entries
in syslinux.cfg with "boot from C: and boot from D:" ?

Thank you

Tomas M