[syslinux] vesamenu.c32 retain image

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Aug 31 06:47:14 PDT 2007

Tomas M wrote:
> Hello.
>
> vesamenu.c32 can currently display a PNG image along the menu.
> But when the kernel is started, the image is lost.
>
> LILO supports bmp-retain option, where the bitmap graphic is retained
> when control is passed to the loaded kernel image; i.e., the screen is
> not blanked to alphanumeric mode before starting the kernel.
>
> Is it possible for vesamenu.c32 (or syslinux in general) to support
> similar functionality?
>
> This would be very handy replacement of all the
> bootsplash/gensplash/whatever kernel patches.
>
> Thank you very much for consideration!

It's a bit messy, because syslinux will reset the screen in order to
write the "Loading" message; however, it's just a matter of sorting out
the proper loose ends.

I think I'd like to leave this for post-3.52, but that doesn't mean I'm
rejecting the idea, just that I'd like to get 3.52 out the door.