[syslinux] [PXELINUX]A PXE booting question, please

Eric Tang e.tang at phasefale.com.au
Wed Feb 14 15:00:30 PST 2007

Hi all,

I was trying to install Red Hat Linux 7.3 on my computer through network
install. I had setup TFTP server and Linux network install server.  DHCP
server is ready as well. The ROM of onboard network card was enabled,
the chip on the card is Realtek R8111B.

Everything was fine at the booting stage,  machine got the IP and booted
up with the pxelinux, then kernel vmlinuz and initrd.img were loaded.
But the loading kickstart configuration file failed, because the network
card was not recognized. I looked at the screen log, there was DHCP
request on the network card, which falied it said it was because no such
device. The installation could not be continued. It was prompted up with
"tmp/ks.cfg" not found error, and I was given the options to choose the
correct network card driver to use.

Now I am wondering sending out this DHCP request is done by PXELINUX or
the linux kernel, or something else. Can we just use the TCP/IP ability
of the PXE to get the network access, which is done at the earliest
stage like IP request and TFTP transfer.

The PXELINUX configuration file was the following:

default linux
prompt 1
timeout 500
display boot.msg

label localboot
        LOCALBOOT 0

label linux
  kernel vmlinuz-7.3
  append initrd=initrd-7.3.img ramdisk_size=10000
ks=http://192.168.160.6/data2/network-install/ks.cfg

label old
  kernel vmlinuz-7.3
  append initrd=initrd.img ksdevice=eth0 ramdisk_size=10000 network
ks=http://192.168.160.6/data2/network-install/ks.cfg

Can anyone help, please? How can I get my work done?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Eric