[syslinux] customizing initrd - kernel panic while booting

pankaj takawale pankaj_takawale at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 21:55:38 PST 2007

Hi,
I want to customize initrd so that I can run my
application once vmlinuz loads initrd. (similar to dos
booting - dos runs autoexec.bat)

I copied vmlinuz & initrd from RHEL4 ISO.
Mounted initrd
renamed 'linuxrc' exe to linuxrc1
created new script linuxrc
called linuxrc1 from linuxrc script
called my application from linuxrc script.

But I receive "kernel panic" error:
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
isofs_fill_super: bread failed. dev=md1.
iso_blknum=16. block=32
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
fs on unknown block(9,1)

I also tried creating initrd from scratch using link:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-initrd.html

I still receive similar error.

Can someone please guide me or point me at appropriate
url.
Im here trying to create customize initrd for recovery
purpose.