[syslinux] ISOLINUX boot problem: request for help

Peter Bartke bartke at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 27 02:02:37 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin schrieb am Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 03:57:27PM -0700:
> Peter Bartke wrote:
> >
> > This is a Live CD which starts from RAM-disk. Please correct me, if I'm
> > wrong - after seeing the message `Ready.', isolinux.bin transfers control
> > to the vmlinuz in RAM. And the kernel has its initial boot disk in RAM.
> > To me this seems more a RAM problem (finding the entry point?) than a CD
> > read problem.  By the way, I made a complete mem86 RAM test to exclude
> > dirty bits.
> >

> "Ready." is indeed the point at which we transfer control to the kernel
> setup code.  It might be interesting to put "vga=ask" on the kernel
> command line; that should give you some interaction with the kernel
> setup code, which runs in real mode before the kernel is decompressed.
> That will help narrow down the problem.

I see the message `Press <RETURN> to see the video modes' with a list
of 6 video modes, then `Enter mode number or `scan':'. I tried `scan',
which led to losing the video signal for nearly a minute, then it came
back with a cleared screen and a list of 7 video modes. After entering
number 1 I got `the famous boot stall'.

Does this vga=ask action come from isolinux.bin code or from vmlinuz
code?  Do you have any other suggestions for command line twiddling?

Peter