[syslinux] Problem booting from CF/SD cards and USB Flashdrives using syslinux

Rui Santos rsantos at grupopie.com
Tue Jul 31 02:38:19 PDT 2007

c.lee111 at gmail.com wrote:
> I've run into a rather odd problem. It seems that I can format and make
> bootable CF/SD cards and USB Flashdrives under Windows 98SE and MS-DOS
> 6.22 that will boot to a A: prompt on my system.
>

> But when I try making the same CF/SD cards and USB Flashdrives bootable
> under linux using syslinux I get nothing, not even a error message. It's
> like the syslinux bootloader doesn't even exist on the CF/SD cards and
> USB Flashdrives.
>
> I've looked at the CF/SD cards and USB Flashdrives using Gparted and it
> says the cards using syslinux are bootable, so that's not the problem.
>
> I'm pretty sure the CF/SD cards and USB Flashdrives aren't being
> formated as USB-ZIP under Win98se and MS-DOS 6.22, so why can I create
> bootable CF/SD cards and USB Flashdrives under Win98se and MS-DOS 6.22,
> but not under Linux using syslinux?

Could be a BIOS issue. My BIOS (ASUS) always assumes that any device
under 512MB is a USB Floppy and above it assumes is a USB HDD. For a USB
PEN/CF/SD under those 512MB to be detected as a USB HDD, there is an
option ( BIOS ) that forces it to behave like one.

Also, have you tried to issue syslinux with -ma options ?

Hope it helps,
Rui Santos