[syslinux] Netbooting an ISO image

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Sat Jun 9 23:57:33 PDT 2007

Allen Schultz schreef:
> I got confused on this topic personally. Found something that required a
> tftp with (dont remember right phrases) images of the filesystem compressed
> or the iso for a live boot. Again, left me confused.

No single ISO can be netbooted by itself through PXE. You'll always have
to put a bootup part of the ISO on the server.
Pxelinux then downloads this part and executes it, and the executed
program finds the ISO by itself and mounts it,
then continues booting. WinPE does this, BartPE, and many Linux
distributions and likely also more slightly exotic operating systems
like BSD.

with a TFTP client program I could also make FreeDOS do this, but so far
experiments have only been made with HTTP through Wget.
(some people using a ftp.exe program).
I don't know of any opensource DOS client software that can handle SMB
protocol or any Linux network mounting methods.

No idea how RIS (Win2000/XP/2003) works, got no serverOS from Microsoft.

Bernd