[syslinux] USB Keyboard

Michael Redinger Michael.Redinger at uibk.ac.at
Sun Jun 10 05:45:50 PDT 2007

Hi,

this seems to be a bug in the latest versions of the Dell BIOSes. I
experienced the same problem with GX620 systems and bios A11.
Downgrading the BIOS to A10 helped.
(Dell support promised this would be fixed - but that more than half a
year ago ...)

Michael

BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     My desktop machine at work was replaced and they gave me a Dell
> Optiplex GX520 machine to use.  When booting from CD-ROM I use
> isolinux 3.50 and the keyboard does not work.  It does work once linux
> boots, and it works if I hit the F2 to go into bios before isolinux
> starts.  I have searched google and the syslinux archives for
> 'Optiplex GX520' but have not found any reports of other people with
> problems.  I searched for 'syslinux USB Keyboard' and people say to go
> into BIOS and turn on the legacy keyboard support.  I read the common
> problems and hardware pages on the syslinux.zytor.com site (couldn't
> find a FAQ page though).
>
>     I cannot find anything to set for the keyboard in the BIOS
> (version A11, if that matters, and there is not a newer one at the
> dell website to download and try).  My question is "Does anybody know
> how to make the keyboard work for isolinux 3.50 with vesamenu.c32?"
> This machine has no PS/2 keyboard connector, so I cannot just use a
> normal keyboard.  When isolinux menu is showing the countdown, even
> caps lock and num lock do not change the keyboard lights.
>
>     I got installed ok by making a new iso that had the choice I want
> as the first choice and just sitting through the countdown, but I
> would like to know if there is some secret to getting things working
> normally, or if this machine is just defective.  The school's
> technician just says run windows and will not help.
>
> Thanks!

- --
Michael Redinger
Zentraler Informatikdienst (Central IT Services)
Universitaet Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 13                    Tel.: ++43 512 507 2335
6020 Innsbruck                         Fax.: ++43 512 507 949 02335
Austria                                Mail: Michael.Redinger at uibk.ac.at
BB98 D2FE 0F2C 2658 3780  3CB1 0FD7 A9D9 65C2 C11D
http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/mred-pubkey.asc