[syslinux] Client machine cannot acquire the IP from dhcp server

Eric Zhang maillistbox at 126.com
Thu Jun 14 22:22:40 PDT 2007

Hi, syslinux:

    I use pxelinux to install Linux from network. Currently, my problem is:

    The first time, the client machine can acquire the IP address from
dhcp server but at the second time, the client machine cannot acquire
the IP again.

    The only way is to remove the /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases file in
server and restart the dhcpd service. Then the client machine can get
the IP again. That means if I want to boot the client machine from
network again, I should manully remove the leases file and restart the
dhcp service.

    I have tried to run dhcp like this: dhcpd -d, it will print out some
debug info, I found the first time the client machine sent a
DHCPDISCOVER msg and server responsed the DHCPOFFER, then the client
sent a DHCPREQUEST and the server reponsed DHCPACK. But the second time,
the dhcpd didn't print anything out?! Why?

    That's it. Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Eric Zhang
2007-06-15