[syslinux] memdisk from 3.36 crashing on Dell PowerEdge 1955

Andreas Kotes count-linux at flatline.de
Thu Mar 22 10:38:27 PDT 2007

Hello,

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> [20070322 18:18]:
> Andreas Kotes wrote:
> >testsys32:~/s2g-serv-bs-count/bom-work/syslinux# git bisect bad
> >672e1a7b5133e49d29c924732419296a03ebe39c is first bad commit
>
> This sounds like it's at fault.  It dorks around with the stack, so it's
> a high likelihood of being at fault.  The only other change in that
> merge is "update copyright dates", so doesn't seem very likely.
>
> I take it you're using "raw" or "bigraw"?

I've been using neither (which works with 3.31) - 3.36 worked with
neither ... current git works not at all with either of the three
possiblities ...

> By the way, "Error reading PBR" doesn't come from syslinux.   What's the
> OS or image you're trying to boot in memdisk?

Dell 32bit Diagnostics, as from
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=R129241

Br,

   Andreas

--
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." -- H.L.Mencken