[syslinux] 3.53-pre5 released - release candidate

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Nov 14 23:35:09 PST 2007

Hi all,

I have received a fair number of bug reports over the last few weeks
-- even days -- and I am therefore declaring 3.53-pre5 a release
candidate for a 3.53 bug fix release.

This 3.53 will not contain either of the two major features under
development -- client side state (including boot-once) and gPXE
integration -- since I want to avoid destabilizing the code base beyond
the bug fixes/firmware workarounds that have been added.

Please try out 3.53-pre5 if you have the chance.  I would like to
release 3.53 some time between Friday and Monday (Nov 16-19).

	-hpa

P.S. I haven't updated the NEWS file for 3.53 yet, but this is the shortlog:

Gerald Britton (1):
       syslinux $PnP search fix

H. Peter Anvin (31):
       bootsect.inc: make sure the $PnP header can fit inside the segment
       memdump: remove debugging code never meant for release
       elf.c: better error message when memory is unavailable
       Next version is 3.53
       Update the memory layout specification
       Makefiles: create NASMOPT variable
       Set TR and LDTR when entering protected mode
       Mark TSS unbusy before protected mode entry
       Add .gitignore file so "git status" makes sense
       Fix [BI]ESUBDIRS for make installer/tidy/clean/spotless
       DHCP bootfile option is 67, not 64.
       mkdiskimage: support more than 1024 cylinders
       Try to fix libfat/ulint.h for non-x86 platforms
       mkdiskimage: correct the partition type for > 1024 cylinders
       Code cleanup: get rid of hard-coded descriptor numbers
       Remove unused EndOfGetcBuf
       comboot: fix shuffle_and_boot_rm (used by linux.c32)
       Optional debugging code for shuffle and boot and load_linux
       Use "nop nop" to clobber "mov cs,ax" even though it's longer
       Setting cr0 requires a jmp to synchronize on 386/486
       isolinux: protect bss variables clobbered due to final sector load
       Clean up the transition to PM for shuffle-and-boot-to-PM
       Guard section to avoid future partial-sector-clobber issues
       Typo cleanup
       In 32-bit mode, "xor eax,eax" is shorter than "xor ax,ax"
       Add sha256crypt and sha512crypt; not yet enabled
       Remove unused variable BufSafeSec
       Fix boot sectors; cleanup_hardware must preserve registers
       ISOLINUX: Change DriveNo -> DriveNumber
       mbr.S: fix loading from logical partitions
       Preserve ES:DI instead of probing for $PnP