[syslinux] autoboot countdown timer

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Nov 20 12:11:21 PST 2007

Anssi Kolehmainen wrote:

>> Please see distrib.doc why I consider that to be a bad thing in this case.
>
> If I'm reading the build log [1] correctly then there's a "bug" in build
> script and ldlinux.bin is never built. Only 'make clean' is called and
> since that doesn't remove ldlinux.bin it is never rebuilt.

It it's calling "make clean"; "make distrib" then it's doing the exact
right thing (rebuilding "host" binaries, but not "target" binaries) --
it means it is using the bitwise original.

Unfortunately, no such luck, it runs "make clean" and then "make", which
really doesn't make any sense (either "make spotless;make" to build
everything from source, or "make clean;make distrib" to rebuild only the
host binaries.)

/usr/bin/make DATE=Debian-2007-11-18 HEXDATE=0x473fe1c5 all-local
make[2]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/syslinux-3.53'
nasm -O9999 -f bin -DDATE_STR="'Debian-2007-11-18'" -DHEXDATE="0x473fe1c5" \
		-DMAP=pxelinux.map -l pxelinux.lsr -o pxelinux.bin pxelinux.asm
perl lstadjust.pl pxelinux.lsr pxelinux.map pxelinux.lst
perl checkov.pl pxelinux.map pxelinux.bin
cp pxelinux.bin pxelinux.0

I only see it rebuilding pxelinux.0; do you guys apply a patch or something?

There seems to be something else wrong, since it asks for the mingw
packages, but don't seem to actually use them (syslinux.exe is missing.)

> I'm just curious, which part of the Debian policy requires that all
> binaries are rebuilt? There is clause that requires the source code but
> that doesn't prevent prebuilding binaries.
>
> BTW, now the build script only prints ls -l of files but md5sum/sha1sum
> would provide much more information (for tracking what the actual file
> contains).

I printed that mostly because I really care about total size.  md5sums
are useful, of course, but not really for having them printed for every
make during development.