[syslinux] Load ELF 32bits LSB executable

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue Sep 18 08:19:42 PDT 2007

Op 18-09-2007 om 13:15 schreef Stéphane ARQUER:
> Le 18/9/2007, "(Geert Stappers)" <stappers at stappers.nl> a écrit:
> >
> >As I read it, there is progress.
> >The "invalid header" message is gone.
> >
> >Thing I would do, is getting the hello.exe running,
> >because that is a configuration that is reported to be working.
> >
> >(in other words: right now I would doubt 'my_rtems_execfile.exe')
> >
> I try to load the file /com32/samples/hello.elf
> given by syslinux-3.52-pre8.tar.gz, which normally works fine (to avoid
> any  doubt).

:-)

The Stéphane ARQUER  hello.exe is reported by hpa to be working.

[1]

> with pxelinux.cfg/C0A8000F :
>
> default rtems
> label rtems
>           kernel elf.c32
>           append hello.elf
>
> the result is the same, the pc is frozen after the message:
> Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8000F
> booting...

That did made me curious.

After getting a simular pxelinux.cfg as above, I did get

| Booting...
| Invalid ELF file or insufficient memory
| boot:

Due the succes report from HPA,
I knew there is something wrong with my setup.

After replacing pxelinux.0 with a newer one.
(in fact making a better match of 'elf.c32' and 'pxelinux.0' version wise )
is 'Booting...' immediate follow-up with a complete black screen
for about five seconds ( 900MHz Intel Pentium III ) and the text

| Initalized console on port CONSOLE
|

| *** HELLO WORLD TEST ***
| Hello World
| *** END OF HELLO WORLD TEST ***
|
| EXECUTIVE SHUTDOWN! Any key to reboot...

in a new screen. Hitting a key indeed reboots.

It was interresting to see 'elf.c32' working, especial the logging
in the TFTP server where the fetch of elf.c32 immediate was followed
with hello.exe.

> >Cheers
> >Geert Stappers
> >--
> >There is indeed some logic in
> >first seeing a question and after that, the answer.

Yes

Anyway, I hope this posting helps getting RTEMS development running for a
netbooting targetcomputer.

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1]
I couldn't understand the reason for introducing a new file in this thread