[syslinux] Some thoughts of Syslinux 4 architecture

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Aug 14 10:28:34 PDT 2008

So, I'm looking at what will be needed for the future of the Syslinux
architecture.

One thing that keep coming up is that people want to combine things that
  are normally associated with chain loading, specifically MEMDISK and
disk swapping (from chain.c32) with other things like Linux kernels, and
recursiveness.

Stefan's ELF loading support is obviously crucial to be able to keep
data structures in memory as it provides continuity of data structures
across modules.

In particular, I'm thinking of an architecture which would call into
various modules, with MEMDISK being a module, and accumulate changes
onto a shuffle list as it goes along, with the final invocation of
shuffle_and_boot making this active.

There are, unfortunately, a number of potential hiccups with this.
First of all we have the distinction of real-mode versus protected-mode
invoked modules (which could be dealt with by a transition stub), things
that we don't know a priori where they want to end up (things that need
to be stuffed at end of DOS memory, especially, since we don't know that
until cleanup time) and so on.

Anyway, thinking about it now...