[syslinux] pxelinux stopped working after ...

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Aug 21 15:21:30 PDT 2008

Op 20080821 om 20:40 schreef Tomas M:
> > My suggestion is to check firewall settings and name resolving settings.
>
> I'm using the same virtual machines in vmware for the tests, firewall is not there.
>
> > Another reason for breakage on a "working setup" is that previous
> > (working) clients are known to the server. New clients are unknown to
> > the server. Unknown in the meaning of no name to an IP-address.
> > Solution is to make name resolving of the new clients possible.
> > ( add then to domain name server setup  (or to /etc/hosts ))
   ( add them to the domain name server setup  (or to /etc/hosts ))

> I completely do not understand this :)

I don't have time to explain "name resolving"

Perhaps can this, it is from another E-mail thread, help:
| > Make sure that the server can do a reverse lookup for its clients.
| > Either by PTR records in the domain name server
| > or simply by adding entries in /etc/hosts on the server.
| > ( `echo -e "172.16.10.50\twinpe" >> /etc/hosts` )
|
| Bingo.  Yes!!  TFTP server needed to be able to do a reverse lookup.

> Anyway, the server and the client are still the same like before.

Previous it was a working setup, now it is reported as broken.
So I doubt the 'still the same' ...

> I can send you the vmware disks here if you like :-)

Put them "on-line" and
post the URL of those images and see what happens.

Probably it is better to spend energy on the tcpdump that hpa requested.

Cheers
Geert Stappers