[syslinux] extlinux reports "./extlinux: path /media/disk doesn't match device /dev/sda4"

Casual Programmer casualprogrammer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 12:01:03 PST 2008

Hello list,

in a previous post I mentioned I had managed to make
USB-Stick with 2048
byte sectors bootable. In fact I wiped out my Linux
partitions
bootrecord. This was with an old version of extlinux
as still
distributed by openSuSE.

Interestingly enough the current version
syslinux-3.61-pre2, spares my
hard disk, but still seems to live under the
impression it is the USB
stick.

The setup is as follows:

Hard disk /dev/sda with 4 partitions
/dev/sda1 Windows XP
/dev/sda2 Windows XP
/dev/sda3 Linux Swap
/dev/sda4 openSuSE root

The USB stick is /dev/sdb with two partitions
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2

issuing extlinux -i /media/disk ( the mount point for
/dev/sdb1
according to openSuSE ) results in:

./extlinux -i /media/disk
/media/disk is device /dev/sda4
./extlinux: path /media/disk doesn't match device
/dev/sda4

The extlinux.sys is in fact written to /dev/sdb1 with
the present
version, the old version does write it to /dev/sda4
and makes the grub
boot sector unusable.

Explanations / Theories welcome.

Casual