[syslinux] extlinux: missing text on serial output

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Jun 24 07:13:30 PDT 2008

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> There isn't all that much I can do about it, other than use an
>> indirect call here (see patch.)
>>
>> I'm slightly hesitant to add this patch to the main code, though, to
>> support a very old and obviously broken linker.
>
> n/m, found an even uglier workaround but which at least doesn't bugger
> up the object code.  Checked into git.

:) Thanks, that indeed works for me.  But I really don't expect you to
maintain "even uglier workarounds" just to please my development
machine, which I hope to upgrade soon (in Debian terms :).

Just to wander even farther from the original subject line, the ELF
format makes symbolic debugging possible.

$ qemu -fda extlinux.144 -serial stdio -s -S
$ gdb extlinux.elf
(gdb) set architecture i8086
(gdb) target remote localhost:1234

gets me pretty far, but I can't get a meaningful backtrace, as if
GDB didn't recognize the stack correctly.  What do I miss?
Feri.