[syslinux] [almost solved]question about extlinux.conf on flashstick with ext2

g3a no1 g3ano1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 16:41:17 PST 2008

Hello H. Peter Anvin ,
after downloading the latest syslinux - looking at the extlinux 'boot prompt'shell , I realized that this was an older version 3.51 ! ( hmm..)
Starting using the full path to unpacked extlinux , did install and mbr -things again on repartioned ext2 stick , i'm back to booting almost all the way:
some Sqashfs errors + cannot execute binary files + dropped to shell
But here I can login and ls both flashmemorydisk + RAM fs , folders and files, but no startx yet .
I'll go to Pclos minime , see if they understand the errors...
( the file livecd.sqfs is a copy from functional usb-fat32-flash)
-  thanks again  / Gene

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote: g3a no1 wrote:
> Hi ,
> I ve tested the pclinux minime on usb 1Gb and later 8Gb, with fat32 and syslinux boot , works splendid in Ram , and persistant saves on stick..
> Now i want to try extlinux-boot with ext2 or 3 on the usb.
> With ext3 , i get constantly bumped to commandline, where i could type in the vmlinuz and initrd paths , but it cant make the loop-file of minime work..so it gets little panic :*
> But it wont read the extlinux.conf in /boot/extlinux on sda1

That's somewhat odd.  When you say "wont read", can you explain what
happens?  Is the right partition set active?

> With ext2 somehow it reads and finds the extlinux.conf - but after
> vmlinuz and initrd - it bumps back to reboot...

You get bumped to the command line because you have "prompt 1" in your
config file, I presume you already realized that.

Your command line is full of arguments which appear specific to your
distribution (minime, I guess), including stuff like /dev/rd/3 which is
old devfs syntax.

I don't think what you're having here is a syslinux problem, as it
appears to bootstrap everything.and I don't know if you'll find anyone
on the list familiar with your specific distribution.  You might want to
ask in a minime forum.

Unsubscribe or set options at: