[syslinux] Howto create hd image with bootable (Free)DOS system

Murali (முரளி கணபதி) murali at google.com
Wed Mar 12 12:51:17 PDT 2008

I have added some howto's to the syslinux wiki for this. The hard disk image
one is not complete (a few pieces are missing -- I haven't done this
myself). Also you might consider a non-standard FD image (I have used a 10MB
FD image without issues).

- Murali

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:05 AM, Dominik Fischer <dom_fischer at web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to update the BIOS of several hundreds of geographically
> distributed PCs.
> Since we are using PXELINUX for years to install the OS (Linux) on this
> PCs PXELINUX is my
> first choice for doing this job.
>
> The vendor of this PCs provides a bootable ISO image for the update.
> Because of the size of the
> firmware it is not possible to use a FD image (not even 2.88MB).  But in
> the documentation
> of PXELINUX there's a hint that bootable hd images are also supported by
> PXELINUX.
>
> I've no success on creating such an image so far. Does anyone have
> successfull created such an
> image and can give me a short howto for this?
>
> Kind regards,
> Dominik

Murali

கற்றது கை மண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு
(What we know is only a handful, what we dont is the rest of the world)