[syslinux] Howto create hd image with bootable (Free)DOS system

Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com
Thu Mar 13 00:43:35 PDT 2008

Hello Ian,

eg.  IBM uses such large boot-cd's for firmware update of SAS harddisks,
firmware update for HP server to the same to update all firmware with
Boot-CD or USB-Sticks.

Yours sincerely

Peter Leenders

             Ian McDonald
             <iam at st-andrews.a
             c.uk>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  For discussion of SYSLINUX and
             syslinux-bounces@         tftp-hpa <syslinux at zytor.com>
             zytor.com                                                  cc

                                                                   Subject
             12.03.2008 21:43          Re: [syslinux] Howto create hd
                                       image with bootable (Free)DOS
                                       system
             Please respond to
             For discussion of
               SYSLINUX and
                 tftp-hpa
             <syslinux at zytor.c
                    om>

Dominik Fischer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to update the BIOS of several hundreds of geographically
> distributed PCs.
> Since we are using PXELINUX for years to install the OS (Linux) on this
> PCs PXELINUX is my
> first choice for doing this job.
>
> The vendor of this PCs provides a bootable ISO image for the update.
> Because of the size of the
> firmware it is not possible to use a FD image (not even 2.88MB).  But in
> the documentation
> of PXELINUX there's a hint that bootable hd images are also supported by
> PXELINUX.
>
> I've no success on creating such an image so far. Does anyone have
> successfull created such an
> image and can give me a short howto for this?
>
> Kind regards,
> Dominik

Out of interest, what vendor is this? (and what on earth bios is so huge?)

We use 2.88's fairly extensively to boot UNDI networked dos images to
flash our bioses on our classroom boxes, so we can pull an uri in our
install system before rebooting the machine.

I seem to remember some success making a vmware instance with a small
hard disk image (say 40M), then booting it to a shell off the network,
and using dd to make an image of the disk (bootloader and all) to feed
memdisk.

However, it's a long time since I did this, so my memory might be faulty.

--
ian

Unsubscribe or set options at: