[syslinux] GFXBoot & PXELinux

a178235 a178235 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 11:08:40 PDT 2008

I understand the reasoning behind not integrating the dirty gfxboot patch into isolinux and pxelinux, but with many of the major distributions implementing gfxboot, it would be nice for a seamless boot interface across syslinux, isolinux and pxelinux so that the same menu file, look and feel, can be used to boot from the hard drive, USB thumb drive, floppy, or PXE. With isolinux being the primary method of Linux distributions, and more companies adopting Linux, it would make sense that the same method be used by CD’s and PXE boot would help the Linux adoption. Additionally, integrating syslinux, isolinux, and pxelinux into one unified syslinux that support all boot methods may make sense, but I don’t know all of the technical hurdles that would need to be resolved.

  Is there currently ANY solution that would allow for a gfxboot splash screen using PXE?