[syslinux] A Question about "Dynamic linker/loader for modules"

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 24 09:37:43 PDT 2008

yuziyu07 at mails.gucas.ac.cn wrote:
> Hello,I'm going to apply the Gsoc, and I'm interested in this idea.
> But I'm not quite understand the exact meaning of "  Dynamic linker/loader for modules ".
> Does it mean to implement a ELF loader to dynamic linking or make the COM32 file being enable dynamic linked like ELF?
> Thank you for answering!

It means both, in pretty much that order.

First implement an ELF linker/loader (there are several options for how
to do this, by the way), and then try to factor the COM32 modules into
bits that are suitable for dynamic linking.

ELF isn't the only possible format, of course, but it's well understood
and reasonably easy.