[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Mar 25 09:54:33 PDT 2008

detlef oertel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> attached 2 screenshots of the meminfo.c32 output.
>
> Anything else we can do ?

I think I see the problem.  Everything in your memory map looks normal,
*except* line 4 -- where you have a chunk of reserved memory in the
middle of normal RAM, at 0x1e00000-0x1e80040 (at 30 MB!)

First of all, I doubt that the E820 parser has seen a memory map like
this -- I will try to simulate this info and see what it comes up with.

What's worse is this will limit syslinux to only 29 MB of high memory,
even on the best of days, despite the fact that there is a gigabyte of
memory in the machine.  This means that your large miniroot simply
doesn't fit.

I can't think of a sane way to work around this in the syslinux core, at
least not any time soon, but it is probably possible to work around it
in linux.c32.  I will have to carefully think about it.

The other thing I would appreciate is as much information as possible
about this system, as I would like to ping my Dell contacts and get some
information.