[syslinux] Adding memdisk or similar when booting linux

Kjetil.Mikkelborg at kongsberg.com Kjetil.Mikkelborg at kongsberg.com
Wed Mar 26 01:39:28 PDT 2008

> Kjetil.Mikkelborg at kongsberg.com wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, but stil  no luck.
>> changed the last arg to -1, but still no sign of /dd.img in initrd after booting.
>> So, am i looking at the wrong end here? is an initrd image handled the same way as
>> a cpio archive regarding initramfs? Since i suspect redhat is stil using initrd image
>> (with ext2 filesystems).
>>

>No, you can't add files to an initrd filesystem.
>
>Don't know about RHEL, but Fedora has been initramfs for soem time.
>
>> Ive also just for testing tried to change to using initramfs_load_file instead of the code above,
>> but still no luck with that either.
>>
>> Any more hints to were to look?
>
>Well, finding out what your initrd is would be a first step.
>
>        -hpa

Ok, then what I am trying cannot work then ;) since redhat enterprise 4 did use initrd instead of initramfs (which actually redhat enterprise 5 does).
is there any way I could get memdisk work with linux? (without pxelinux -> loading memdisk - > loading syslinux approach -> loading linux)?

is there anyway I can make memdisk emulate a floppy for linux?
I know this problem now only is valid for older than initramfs distros, and I did fiddle with the tought of making a initrd -> initramfs converter as a comboot module, but that would require handling of ext2 filesystem in comboot (or I could make a initramfs image which does the converting,.. need to check in to that)..

--Kjetil