[syslinux] passing parameters to the newly booted kernel

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Mar 26 08:50:10 PDT 2008

Andrew Hume wrote:
> is it possible to pass parameters from a .cfg file to the newly
> booted kernel?
>
> my setup is pxelinux where the relevent config is
>
> label fbsd63
> 	kernel memdisk
> 	append initrd=/freebsd6.3.hd harddisk
>
> what i would like to do is pass in some parameter so the booted
> kernel can behave differently.
> i've looked in teh archives without success, although i did see an
> elliptic reference to /proc/cmdline from within /linuxrc.
>
> i boot both freebsd and linux kernels, so answers for both would be
> welcome.

Yes, although you don't want to use MEMDISK for it.  If you boot the
kernel "natively", you can pass arguments to it.

I believe FreeBSD kernels are Multiboot images, so you can boot them via
mboot.c32.

Passing arguments to MEMDISK is possible too, but then the OS has to
know about MEMDISK specifically.