[syslinux] CPU usage while at syslinux boot prompt

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Nov 17 07:43:13 PST 2008

Hi,

Today I was contacted by a VMware colleague asking me why my test systems
were using almost 100% CPU while waiting for a prompt. He was used to this
behaviour for DOS guests :)

Apparently the isolinux boot CD that is waiting for another test Linux
installation is using about 1.8Ghz of the 2.5Ghz virtual CPU on a VMware
ESX 3.0.2 host.

Since I have 5 of these VM guests that are used for testing our Linux
installation process and automatically boot into isolinux waiting for
another testdrive (or to boot into the new installation) this is using
quite some processing power while not doing anything most of the time.

I was wondering if this was known behaviour ? And if it is something that
we can fix ?

Let me know if you need more information about our environment to
troubleshoot.