[syslinux] PXE Linux boot to F12 automatically

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Wed Oct 22 02:59:37 PDT 2008

I hear what you all say, but also remember we have our reasons for doing things the way we do, and to top of a previous comments, I head a PC manufacturing plant in South Africa, and we have loaded well over 500 000 machines with Windows, Linux Unix you name it. So I believe that I am very well qualified to make the remarks I do.

I thank you all for your feedback.

But I believe that I run a fairly complex system and maybe if I had given more info about it, you would see where my query originates from, and possibly someone could point me to a possible solution.

Basically guys, I run two PXE servers, one is an in-house development which automatically loads the computers OS, this one automatically boots in the network option. This happens in our final stage of manufacturing. Where the Computers are plugged in batches of 50 at a time, when the last machine has booted up via PXE the server auto installs the correct OS. Be it windows, Linux Unix etc...

In the earlier stages of manufacturing I have another PXE server (WDS on 2008). This machine does not automatically boot. Again we have a series of in-house tools which run from this server, and we can also manually load any OS if we need to and even create a customize image for a client, pipe it to the OS server and load it. Because we brand our Bios, and we setup these recovery partitions that you see now days we have this multi-stage manufacturing process. When the system reaches it's customizing stage, there are also several checks which take place, now the PC builder in the previous stage has to setup the network as the first boot device, this get's changed at the very end in our Quality Control stage.

Many things happen in the customize stage, and the computers are not required to boot from network unless the user instructs it to. Working with WDS it was working very well.
The problem we face now is that SUSE, has the HW sid thing going like Microsoft and we are unable to cast images. I even had the chaps from Novell SA out and they have failed to give us a solution. So we need to setup a new element in our system. Which is the option to load Linux in the customize stage that I am working on. So I did the mods to WDS but it looks like I would have to change the process so the boot sequence is set at the customize station, this is not just a simple task of telling the people. There is a mountain of paper work to go through including board level approval. And we will probably have the ISO9001/14000... auditor out to verify. Not a route I want to take any time.

So I will change my question,

Bearing in mind that we have loaded an OS for test purposes at the build stage, and it will be the same OS that we will reload at the end. But we run some pretty good tests on the system and we don't want to release the image as a final image after we have loaded all the test software and verification tools. But we do need the PXE to pause if it does not get a key press it must skip PXE or abort and carry on to load the installed OS of that unit.

I see there is PXE abort function, when I tried it does not abort but rather hangs the units.

Does anyone have sample config files I can use for guidance to experiment?

Thanks