[syslinux] NEW: COM32 module to alias

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 19:38:58 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:28 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>
>> Currently both Syslinux and the Linux kernel has a limit of 2047
>> characters (not including the final null.)
>>

> com32/menu/menu.h has the definition:
>
> #define MAX_CMDLINE_LEN        2048
>
> This really should move into <syslinux/boot.h>.
>
>        -hpa

Thanks for the quick response.  It saves me from having to search for
it.  If I recall correctly, it was defined as 256 but I think that was
quite some time ago and I think I recall reading about it when the
discussion on expanding it occurred.  I've included it by reference
(if defined), otherwise statically as 2048.

Searching in /usr/include on my Linux system yields 3 potential macro
names, _POSIX2_LINE_MAX, LINE_MAX, and COMMAND_LINE_SIZE (only in
<asm/setup.h>) of which LINE_MAX seems the most appropriate but I'm
uncertain.  Including <limits.h> on my system, defines LINE_MAX and
_POSIX2_LINE_MAX.  Would it be more appropriate to have the macro in
<syslinux/boot.h> or <limits.h>?