[syslinux] pxelinux timeout problem on CentOS 5, syslinux-3.11-4

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Sat Sep 27 01:14:21 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Mispagel" <pmispagel at vmware.com>
To: <syslinux at zytor.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:11 AM
Subject: [syslinux] pxelinux timeout problem on CentOS 5, syslinux-3.11-4

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on a project to have all of our systems here use
pxelinux for multiple system reinstalls.  One of the requirements is that
timeout works, but for some reason it doesn't.

> I've got a default option set, and a timeout of 300.  pxelinux will read
the timeout line properly, as it displays a timeout of 30 seconds when the
PXE menu comes up, yet it never starts counting down.

> I've read docs and researched on Google and I'm at a loss as to why this
isn't working.  My next approach will be to install a different version of
syslinux.

> Do any of you have any recommendations?

You should not be the first to report a timeout issue on an old release.
Try with a more recent version to check if it has been fixed.
You don't need to compile, just make install.

Gilles